January 19

WHAT TO WRITE ABOUT?

-Ru1722

The title says it all, what to write about. I’m somewhat out of ideas so I thought I might as well help out people who are stuck. I remember a year ago I got really depressed and nothing seemed worth anything. A friend of mine suggested to write down whatever comes to mind. It doesn’t matter what it is, just write it down! So I did. I started off writing typical one word descriptions of how I felt, like worthless, sad, anger, and I don’t exactly remember what else. I started getting off topic and writing down simple sentences, and whatnot. Some of the words were pointless, but in the end, it made me feel a lot better. Great, so what am I getting at? Just write whatever comes to your mind! It doesn’t matter whether it’s stupid single words that won’t be relevant later, just write whatever comes to mind.

It could even be done like a workout. You set a time that you start, and you just let your thoughts go on paper. You could also set days of the week you can do this. Also, in the creative writing class I am writing this for, we have a book that has a bunch of short prompts you can write about. It’s a good book for when you’re stuck. It does have some adult topics, so be mindful of that. There are some other books too that should help with writer’s block.

Even though you can’t avoid writer’s block, there are definitely ways around it! Books are a great way to help it, especially books meant to stop writer’s block and get your mind to generate ideas. If you don’t feel like going to Barnes and Noble or spending money on a book, then write whatever comes to mind! If you feel that there are other ways around it that I am forgetting, please feel free to leave a comment below.

Posted January 19, 2017 by Ru1722 in category Uncategorized

4 thoughts on “WHAT TO WRITE ABOUT?

1. izzyctv17

I like the encouraging vibe this post gives off, as well as the different ideas offered for people to try with their writing exercises.

Reply
  2. Mr O

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with overcoming writer’s block, although you seem to also be sharing another important use for writing, to help process events in your life. Writing can be catharsis, and your admonition to “just write it down” applies not only to writer’s block but to those who seek to move past a traumatic event.

Reply